Thursday, April 8, 2010

Meat and Greet

Hi there.

My name is Nicole and I am a former candy addict turned health food enthusiast.

I used to be the kind of chick who thought a good breakfast was six fat Tootsie Rolls and a can of Dr. Pepper. For the longest time, my diet was comprised mainly of four food groups: bread, cereal, candy, and pretzels. I felt like I was doing ok calorie-wise, but I felt tired and sluggish all the time. After I started getting into high intensity workouts, I realized this 'diet' of mine wasn't going to work any longer. I started learning about things like glycemic index, and began increasing my intake of vegetables, fats, and lean protein. After a lot of trial-and-errors with food, I found I felt my best without all the refined, processed junk--particularly the sugar.

It's been a long series of transitions omitting the bad stuff from my diet over the past couple of years, and it hasn't always been easy. At first it seemed impossible giving up grains and dairy, but now I hardly miss them. My stomach definitely doesn't.

I know that while I AM eating very healthy, there are still a few minor tweaks I can make to even further enhance my performance and the way I feel. I decided to create this blog to share my experiences converting more completely to the Paleo lifestyle.

I'm not a doctor, a dietition, or trained chef. I'm just a hungry girl with an appetite for meat, sound nutrition, and kitchen mayhem. I plan on posting recipes, links to good articles and other blogs (there are tons of great ones out there), and recounting some of my own day-to-day struggles and triumphs with food. I'm not perfect - definitely not a Paleo Nazi - but hopefully I can spread around some good information and help other people change the way they think about the things they eat.

So if you don't already know, what is Paleo, anyway?

Basically, it's a diet (lifestyle, really), based on what the earliest hunter/gatherer human ancestors ate. Meat, eggs, fish, vegetables, fruits, and nuts was what they would've had on their plates. If they had plates.
Which they probably didn't. But you get the idea.

That said, the beginning of the agricultural revolution brought grains, dairy, beans, and legumes into play, which, on an evolutionary timeline, was pretty much yesterday. The digestive systems of human beings simply haven't adapted enough to be able to efficiently digest these things, and the excesssive consumption of processed food, grains, legumes, soy, dairy, starchy carbs, and refined sugars is largely responsible for the epidemic of obesity, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, cancer, and heart disease plaguing modern day humans. Paleo is all about getting back to basics.

Anyway, there is a whole bunch of detailed information about Paleo scattered all over the internet, and rather than trying to repeat what's already been written much more eloquently by others, some good places to start are the links to the right of this entry under Paleo/Primal Resources.

Welcome to the jungle, baby.

Stay tuned.