Thursday, June 17, 2010

My Laptop Was Stolen by Ninjas. Plus, a Recipe!

       Ok, so the first part of that title is a total lie. I have no real, good excuse for my extended blogging hiatus, suffice it to say that I had temporarily turned my attention to another, much bigger project. I'm going to work very hard to make sure I stay on top of things better from here on out. In fact, I promise to.
      Or else Mike will beat me.

      (..ha ha..)

      That said, while I haven't been posting lately, I HAVE been staying on target with my Paleo eating (for the most part, at least. I may/may not have caved in and had pizza in the past week--a semi-annual occurance. Whoops).  Money has been a little tight lately though, so I have mostly been doing 'Extreme Budget Paleo,' and 'Extreme Budget/Totally Lazy Paleo.' Which, believe it or not, is totally possible.
      At least through all of this I have learned that there really is no good excuse for not eating healthy, even when funds/time/energy are severely limited.

      I will get into that more later though.

     But just to kick things off again, here is a quick, easy Asian-Inspired recipe that has been my post-workday, I'm-Freaking-Starving quick-fix staple. Be sure to be dazzled by my excellent food photography skillz (as it doesn't happen often):



Asian Turkey Bowl with Broccoli Slaw, Swiss Chard, and Crushed Almonds
Serves: As Many as You Make Enough For

Ingredients:

(Ok, I won't lie. I don't measure stuff at all when I make this, so use the ingredient list more as a 'guide.')

-Cooked turkey or chicken breast pieces (I used Trader Joe's Oven Roasted Turkey Breast. Not to be confused with "lunch meat"-type turkey breast, what I'm referring to is essentially just a big breast of turkey without the bones. Holy time-saver, Batman!)
-Broccoli slaw
-A couple stalks of Swiss chard, cut into small pieces
-1 scallion, chopped
-1 T coconut oil (olive oil works fine, too)
-1 T coconut aminos or wheat-free tamari (soy sauce)
-garlic
-ginger
-crushed almonds
-small spoonful of coconut butter
-ground black pepper to taste

-Heat oil in medium skillet over medium/high heat.
-Add the stalky pieces of chard, stirring often, until it begins to soften, then add leafy parts and brocolli slaw, as well as scallion.
-Add garlic and ginger to suit your taste.
-Once brocolli starts to soften, add turkey/chicken and a splash of coconut aminos/wheat-free tamari
-Once vegetables are desired texture, add small spoonful of coconut butter and stir. A little goes a long way!
-Remove from heat, place in bowl, and top with ground black pepper and crushed almonds.

     A few words about this recipe: Play around with it! Ive used turkey, shrimp, chicken, or beef with it. Also, if you dont have chard, use something else. I actually only used chard because I happened to have some on hand. Sometimes i'll use shredded cabbage, or sliced peppers. If you don't have coconut butter, the recipe still tastes good without it (although really, if you've never tried it, you're missing out!). Coconut aminos are pretty awesome too..and taste just like soy sauce, only without the soy, wheat, and buttload of sodium that regular soy sauce has. Win! (Both of these things can be found at Whole Foods, the Mecca of little-known Paleo meal accents.)

      Seriously though, if you don't have some of these more hard-to-find items in your pantry and aren't willing to venture out to find them, don't be afraid to improvise. I will specify if missing a certain lesser-known ingredient will totally ruin the recipe.

     So that's that. Glad to be back.  In the next couple weeks, look for more recipes that have passed through my haphazard test kitchen successfully, including Maple Salmon, Mediterranian Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing, Albacore Tuna Kebabs with Chimichurri, and Portobello Mushroom Paleo Burgers,  as well as the long overdue Part II of Paleo for Dummies.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

MMM i love your blog mainly because i love everything low carb. i used to be vegan for almost 3 years! i slowly realized how much my body functioned on lower carbs and animal protein. ur totally my foodie hero haha <3

libidiny said...

Thanks! :)

Post a Comment